A stellar teaching career

Sophie Enloe, Reporter

Madison Stelly is a new teacher at West Hardin. She teaches art and English. She attended college and said it changed her perspective.

“ I loved college. I learned tons of new things. I took super interesting classes. I completely changed my way of thinking and understood who I was differently than when I was in high school,” Stelly said.

Stelly said she didn’t plan on being a teacher, but she got convinced after a lot of people asked her why she wasn’t.

“I actually said I wasn’t going to teach because my mother is a teacher and so I grew up watching her work very long hours and grade papers at home. She’s a high school teacher, so I remember being up at the high school until seven o’clock some nights like begging her to go home, so I was like “I’m never going to do this!” And then I went on all these job interviews and everyone looked at my job resume and said, “You need to be teaching. Why are you not teaching? Why are you not teaching?” and so then I started teaching,” Stelly said.

Stelly has obtained many degrees from her time in college.

“I have a degree in cultural anthropology. My Bachelor of Arts is in cultural anthropology, and African and African diaspora studies. So I studied culture and the way it affects our identity and who we are in this world. It’s a lot, I know. And then I’m working on my masters degree in art,” Stelly said.

Stelly came to West Hardin because someone she knows asked if she wanted a job here.

“I came to West Hardin because of Mr. Smith. I was teaching at Westbrook last year and I got to Westbrook because the principal at Westbrook was my old principal  and so she asked me to teach there. Then Mr. Smith called me. He knew I was teaching at Westbrook and he said “Hey I have this position open and you’d be teaching English two and art. Would you like to take it?” and so I said sure,” Stelly said.

Stelly liked watching basketball games in high school.

“In high school I enjoyed basketball games. HJ is a big basketball school and so I loved going to the basketball games and traveling to see everybody play. Basketball season is so much fun. Everybody is so involved during basketball season. I was a trainer in high school, so I wrapped ankles.  

Stelly said meeting everyone and students not knowing her rules is a challenge.

“The biggest challenge is establishing who you are and getting to know everybody. For me I walk in here and y’all don’t know me and I don’t know y’all,”  Stelly said.

Stelly said that new teachers should follow through with their dreams.

“Hmm keep swimming. Just keep swimming, and always carry a Walker Page by your side. That part of it was a joke but yeah just keep swimming. Nothing is smarter than you; you are smarter than everything around you,” Stelly said.